The dignity of Human life is something that God does not take for granted and neither should we.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Dear Cynthia

The following series is a fictitious correspondence between a U.S. Congressman and his wife. Any similarity to real persons, contrived, cloned or otherwise actually breathing is purely coincidental and unintended.

My dearest Cynthia,

What a week I've had. As you know, this week we set our collective minds on health care for the American people. I think that if we play our cards right, the speaker will select me to chair a new committee on this subject. You know what that means..... perhaps another junket to Aruba. (we learned so much last time we were there!)

Anyway, what is so amazing to me is the fact that our poll numbers continue to show that the average Joe doesn't understand a thing about what we are trying to accomplish here; and that's good for us and good for America. Some crazy history teacher sent my Washington office a placard with a speech by George Washington on it, talking about liberty and the need to be careful about political parties and private ambition. Everyone knows that during the 17th century, the average person was illiterate and only a group of elite persons chosen by fate could have put together something as bold as America. Today, dear, as we both know, is no different. Imagine, the average, uneducated factory worker trying to dictate policy to someone like you and I who understand government so well, because we actually live it.

At our committee session on healthcare today the speaker wanted to be sure we were all on the same page - that a national system, empowered and managed by the federal government (congress) was the only viable solution for the nation's uninsured. We expect opposition from doctors of course - poor suckers won't know what hit them, and none of us are sure how we will draft them into the new national service, but we have some sharp people working on how to make that happen. On that note, I met a young policy man today who worked on the Iraqi civil corps and I think he would do well as a part of our healthcare coalition - he has the right connections (wealthy parents) and could serve us well in the future. I had hoped, but never dreamed that we would earn so much money in government. I know that you feel it is still unjust compensation for all the time we must spend apart.

I think a federal health system can be one of my most impacting lifetime achievements. Don't worry, we aren't going to be a part of the system (just like taxes and compensation).

Honey, i really feel good about this - our poll numbers are showing that the American people want government to handle the big things for them - so they can spend time with family, at work, etc. and won't have to worry about them. We will have to deal with the individual rights crowd to be sure, but I don't think they can muster enough opposition to stop us. With both houses of congress and the President on our side, I feel fairly confident we can make this happen.

give my love to Trish and Mike and tell them that I will fly in on Sunday.

Love,

Richard.

No comments: