The dignity of Human life is something that God does not take for granted and neither should we.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Impending world doom?

Since this is the world's most widely read blog as reported in Vampire's weekly, I thought I would outline a scenario for the end of the world - soon. No, I haven't been reading those pillars of Baptist theology, Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins. But I have been reading the world's commodity output figgers and have been keeping an eye on something called the "peak oil production". Peak oil production is the maximum amount of oil the world can produce. Rather like measuring the maximum amount of juice which can be squeezed from an orange, once the peak production of crude oil is hit, it will take drastic and dramatic global measures to fix it.

It appears that the world has reached peak oil production. According to the U.S. Dept. of Energy the peak output for crude oil in the world is approx. 85 million barrels per day. Today, the world uses nearly 89 million barrels of oil per day. In other words, all of the oil being produced from crude in the world is already being used. Yet, most economies are growing.

The DOE also suggests that China by itself will require 89 million barrels per day by 2018. In other words, China will likely use all of the world's current production capacity. What about everyone else?

Can you say war, children?

I'm no prophet (heck, i'm not even a profit), but it doesn't take a degree in education (yes, that's a joke) to see that if one country needs all of the world's supply of produced oil, and they can't get it, then something drastic must happen.

WHat is this "something"? Could China make a deal with Russia to capture the oil fields of Iraq, Iran, Egypt because America has become a non-entity and has a weak President who enjoys negotiating with foreign heads of state?

Could Russia finally use this as an excuse to rid the world of those nasty Jews?

I don't know what Russia or China will do. What I will do is make sure my family and I are not slaves to crude oil. My next car will hopefully run on electrons or perhaps even air. My next house will hopefully be powered by a huge ball of gas, (no, not Ted Kennedy or Rush Limbaugh)and much of my food will hopefully come from my backyard garden. I won't pay $6 a gallon for gas, much less the $10-$12 predicted by the global shortage. I'm not for killing all the forests so that obese soccer moms can shuttle their kids to practice in monstrous metal machines. I'm not for grading all of Nevada into a plain so that we can harvest crude from the shale in their mountains.

If we could harvest a portion of the methane emanating from Washington, D.C. we could fuel every aspect of American life, but sadly congress won't bend over. At least not for the American people. But I figure if enough of us begin to ignore both government and the oil interests, perhaps - just perhaps we can avert a global meltdown and still buy lead-laced toys from our pals in Beijing. Oh, yeah and don't forget the cavier from our druzya in Moscow!

No comments: